Saturday, September 01, 2012

Pregnancy week 38

Day one of maternity leave and I end up spending the afternoon in hospital - not the greatest start. Don't worry though - we're both fine.

As I sat there in the maternity unit in a room with two other women, the sound of their babies heart monitors mingling with mine and the sound of other peoples contractions filling the air, I thought to myself "home birth is definately the right choice for me!"  Though the doctors and midwives were friendly and helpful I found myself seeing one person one minute and then they'd swap shifts and it'd be someone else. I was left on my own for long periods of time as the poor overstretched midwife ran from one cubicle to another and the doctors all got paged to attend a C-section. When I think about it now I feel a little spoilt/greedy knowing I'll have two midwives all to myself at home.

The other thing with hospitals is they are so boring! Just as I expected, boredom and my husband did not mix too well and resulted in him driving me nuts by fiddling with all the equipment. If he does that when I'm in labour I know it will drive me insane so being at home away from all machines with flashing lights is probably the best thing for both of us. He was playing with the bed, checking the heart rate print out, fiddling with the monitor strapped around my belly... I knew it would only be a matter of time before he would get told off by the midwife for something and I was correct.  It did however make me feel a little better when the junior doctor attending me managed to make the end of the bed fall off!

No comments:

Post a Comment