Friday, August 01, 2014

Mamas Diary - 31st July

Today is another typical Thursday - come home from work to find a sleeping child and the house littered with toys and clothes. Quickly say hello to hubby before he rushes out to work. We have the usual brief handover talk (what's the kid eaten/how many episodes of peppa pig has he watched/is there anything you promised him he could have or do when mummy gets home?). Attempt to pick up a little but my protruding baby bump gets in the way and I give up.

As little J naps I put my feet up and eat lunch while writing next weeks dinner menu and shopping list. This is one of the rare times in the week when it's just me with no one else around to distract me or demand things from me. Every week I think to myself I should take this time to relax, to read, to pray and to just "be" in God's presence and every week it turns into time to catch up on chores. Grrr, really need to change that habit but this darn nesting instinct that comes with the third trimester is difficult to shake off.

When little J wakes up it takes a grand total of 30 seconds before he starts asking to watch peppa pig. So we curl up on the sofa with a snack and a drink and watch a couple of episodes about birthdays and treasure hunts.

As usual I'm having bathroom breaks at a rate of 2 or three an hour and this time I emerge from the bathroom to find little J sporting my reading glasses. They actually fit him quite well! (I have to buy my glasses from the kids section.)

Little J has a thing for pouring stuff at the minute (mostly pouring mummys drink into daddys drink or pouring his drink into his dinner) so I came up with the idea of doing some water play with different size cups. My plan for some educational water play teaching him about things like volume and floating didn't quite go to plan. Little J decides instead to (over) water my plants, water my legs and then pour water all over the floor to make puddles to splash in.

We take a break for more snacks (I swear this kid has hollow legs), clean nappy and dry trousers but have a granola related spillage and little J insists we immediately hoover it up. Not sure where he got this cleaning addiction from but it certainly wasn't me. So we hoover up the granola - well, I say we, I try to help but little J keeps taking the hoover off me so I end up putting my feet up and watching him do it. I end up having to wrestle the hoover from him to put it away which results in some tears.

Little J heads to the kitchen to replace his split granola and emerges with a pear in one hand and a plum in the other. Though I don't want him to get into the habit of constantly snacking all day, who can say no to a child who asks for more fruit?

We head back out to the garden and this time bear comes too. Bear seems to be getting roped into quite a lot of activities recently and today is no exception. Before I can say anything little J  has bear splashing in muddy puddles. I make the mistake of saying 'bear needs a bath now' and little J proceeds to bath bear in the water table. I decide to give up and play along and offer to get bear a towel. I return with a tea towel and little J uses it to wrap bear up and cuddle him dry just like we do when when get little J out of the bath. Looks like this kid is gonna be a pretty great big brother to his sibling (just hope he doesn't put baby in any muddy puddles!).

After some more running around the house and some fun playing with little J's farm it's finally time for dinner. As usual, he's too impatient to wait for dinner to be warmed up and helps himself to an oat cracker while he waits. Dinner time involves the usual negotiations to get little mr "attention span of a fish" to stay at the table for the entire meal but he does eventually eat all his pasta and then starts trying to raid the cupboard for more food after!

Next comes family bathtime and daddy is home just in time. Little J excitedly heads for the bathroom and starts pointing at the bubble bath. Some nights we manage to all get in the bath together which gives me and hubby chance to chat and catch up before dinner. But when hubby sees little J toss a very muddy bear in to the bath he has second thoughts about joining us and instead opts for a quick bit of playstation time (the first in months).

So little J, muddy bear and I enjoy a fun half hour playing with bubbles, squirting water and occasionally even washing ourselves. Next comes the nightly ritual of chasing little J around the house to get his PJ's on. Thankfully daddy is on hand to help with this as little J runs a lot faster than my pregnant frame can waddle.

Next it's time for prayer and story time. Which story tonight? The bad tempered ladybird of course because no day would be complete without having to read it at least once. After kisses and cuddles we head to bed where daddy has already placed a nice dry "spare bear" (buying two identical ones was the best idea ever) ready for sleep.

As I head back to the lounge I can hear a happy little boy chatting and singing over the baby monitor. Hubby has dinner about ready (he's so good to me) and it's finally time to relax and take the weight off my aching hips and pelvis. After a long afternoon with my favourite little boy it's now time to enjoy time with my favourite man. Roll on a movie night and plenty of pie and squirty cream - mmmmm mmmmmm. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment