Thursday, July 31, 2014

Mamas Diary - Day 1

I was just reading a great article about journaling as a spiritual discipline and was particularly struck by these words:

"Keeping a journal can be greatly beneficial in ripening our joy along the journey. There is always more going on in us and around than we can appreciate at the time. Journaling is a way of slowing life down for just a few moments, and trying to process at least a sliver of it for the glory of God, our own growth and development, and our enjoyment of the details."

Let's be honest, I'm not massively enjoying pregnancy second time around and there are days where parenting feels like an endurance test rather than a joy. As a mama, often running around like a headless chicken and trying to do several things at once, it's hard to make time for yourself and time to reflect but I know I'll be better for it (and a better mama to my kids) if I make that time. I don't want these precious moments with my kids to pass by and be forgotten, I want to make time to enjoy the details.

So here goes....what details have I enjoyed the last few days?

At first thought it's easier to think of what I haven't enjoyed! I didn't enjoy endless hours of waddling around chasing a toddler at our friends wedding while hubby was on best man duties. I didn't enjoy that every conversation I tried to have was interrupted by the need to chase after little J. I didn't enjoy being 6 months pregnant in a stuffy building during a heatwave. And I really didn't enjoy the shouts of 'mama, mama, mama, mama, mama' over and over again on the car drive home.

But I did enjoy the silly things little J does when he's tired. Like on the way home, each time he yawned he'd then start repeating "no, no.no" while shaking his head and pulling a face like he was entering a gurning competition. Hubby and I were in stitches watching him in the rear view mirror!

I enjoyed seeing how our fun loving laid back little boy got along so well with everyone he met. I enjoyed hearing people say how sweet and cheerful and helpful he is. I enjoyed doing colouring together between courses at the wedding dinner and watching him use the gravel in the car park to create his own rockery in the flowerbeds outside the church (yeah, sorry, that was our kid!). I enjoy that now no trip is complete without the boy bringing home at least one rock (even if it does drive me nuts keep finding them around the house!).

I enjoyed watching him dancing at the evening party - especially when hubby tried to join in and little J kept forcibly moving him out of the way cos he didn't want daddy stealing his limelight haha.

I enjoyed our trip to the park while hubby played football and seeing him push his boundaries and grow in skill and confidence. Quick funny story from the park: so it's almost time to go and little J asks to go on the climbing frame again but, knowing I may never reach to get him off again, I tell him no. Instead he asks to go on the roundabout and I agree telling him he can have a quick go and then it's time to leave. So on the roundabout he jumps and then beacons me to join him. On I jumped and then......little J jumped off and started pushing me. At first I thought "how sweet" - until the little monkey ran off towards the climbing frame leaving me still spinning and unable to immediately chase him! Not even 2 years old yet and already a little con artist! 

No comments:

Post a Comment