Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Here we go again

Well I'm now 27 weeks into pregnancy number two and finally found some time to sit down and reflect on the journey. I've just been reading over my blog posts from when I was pregnant with little J and it's so funny comparing my attitudes and expectations to what actually happened.

So what is different about pregnancy second time around? Well the novelty factor isn't there this time around so symptoms that were kinda funny at first last time around are just plain annoying. This time around instead of being able to crash on the sofa and watch TV when I get home from work, I have a toddler jumping on me and wanting to play. It's much harder to get rest and look after myself this time around and I'm much more laid back about stuff too. Hubby is also much more laid back - no more being wrapped up in cotton wool this time around. (I think he's got a little too used to me acting like super woman and has now come to expect it as normal.)

How we treat baby is different this time too. Last time we were able to read stories to baby during pregnancy every night. By the time he was born we'd read him the Bible one and a half times already. This time around we've tried reading Jesus story book Bible to baby when little J goes to bed but little J doesn't like to share his Bible and instead wants to 'read' it himself (which is cute but baby can't see the pictures that little J is pointing at).

As I think about baby joining our family I hope they will know they are loved. I hope that they won't feel less loved than little J. He's been so lucky to have our full attention for so long. I wonder how he will handle having to share the attention with another little person? He's fascinated by babies at the minute and has begun being really helpful/protective towards younger kids which is cute but they're not direct competition so it may well be a different story when baby arrives!!

Parenting has been relatively easy the last few months (some tantrums and grumpy days but we all get good sleep, the boy can pretty much make his own breakfast now and there's plenty of fun, singing and charades style conversation) - I have a feeling it's going to become very challenging again soon. I have vague memories of hating the newborn phase and the extreme sleep deprivation. How will I handle that when I also have a toddler who won't allow me to go back to sleep for an hour during baby's morning nap?! And how will I handle things like sibling rivalry and trying to potty train a toddler at the same time as sleep training a newborn?? I am very aware that I am going to need a huge portion of God's grace to keep me sane!

Any of my friends with multiple kids got any advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment