Thursday, May 29, 2014

Playhouse craft

Since getting back from sunny Portugal we've had plenty of rainy days stuck at home so I've had to come up with ideas to keep little J amused. While we were on holiday little J loved being able to use keys to unlock our hotel room. Now we're back home he is frustrated that the lock on our front door is too high to reach (much to my relief or else he'd be running out in the street!).

The other day I had a brainwave. I grabbed a large cardboard box we were about to throw away and began designing little J his own play house. I flattened the box and lay it on the floor so I could draw out the windows and door. Little J promptly plopped down on his belly  beside me with a handful of crayons and began colouring in my design. In fact he spent the rest of the afternoon at work with his crayons and was sad when I told him he had to stop for dinner.

While he was in bed that night I set to work cutting out window holes, a door, a letter box and most important of all a key hole. When little J got up the next morning he was excited to see our creation complete and ready for play time.  Since then he's played in there every day with his bears and even got me to sit in there and read stories with him. It's proved to be a great way to pass the rainy days.

When he gets bored of this creation my next plan is a pirate ship with a treasure map and treasure chest so he can recreate a story he's borrowed from the library. I'll let you know how that goes :)


No comments:

Post a Comment