Thursday, December 11, 2014

Mama's Diary - December 10th

I feel like I deserve a medal for the day I've just had (don't all mums?). After a long and challenging day, I have just survived my first of five nights this week putting two small children to bed alone. I was dreading it ahead of time but here I am with my feet up and both kids in bed by 7:30pm!

So how did I achieve this amazing feat? Let me give you a quick run down...

5pm Breastfed #2 while #1 played nearby.
Took both kids to the kitchen to get dinner ready for #1 and put #2 in bouncy chair while heating up dinner.
Strapped #1 into his chair so he couldn't escape and left him to eat his dinner while I bathed his sister in the kitchen sink.
Gave #2 some naked tummy time on the changing mat on the kitchen floor while having words with #1 about his eating habits ("we do not throw food...please don't jam your fork in the radiator....pasta goes in your mouth not your nose etc etc).
Dressed #2 and began putting on baby wrap sling thingy ready to feed her some more.
Everyone headed to the bathroom and I lay #2 on the floor while I helped #1 get undressed and in the shower.
Began trying to put #2 in the baby sling to feed hands free while helping #1 wash but soon abandoned that idea - just can't get the hang of these darn baby wrap things. Anyway, #1 is able to wash himself, he just chooses not to.
Sang "here we go round the mulberry bush" as a way of tricking #1 into washing himself ("this is the way we wash our face....neck....back....arms......"). Meanwhile, I sat and breastfed #2.
When #2 had finished feeding on one side I put her in her crib in our room and left her to cry for a minute while I dressed #1 (who had eaten half a bath crayon during the brief time I had been out of the room).
Once dressed, I sat #1 down in front of the TV to watch Jesus Storybook Bible and handed him his Bible so he could "read" along.
Went into our room to finish feeding #2. Had to change her clothes first due to #1 splashing her during his shower. Spent the next 20 mins feeding her and then put her in bed drowsy but still awake.
Returned to the lounge to find #1 still in one piece and happily enjoying his Bible.
Read stories to #1 while #2 could be heard fussing a little over the monitor. By the end of the first story #2 was asleep.
Took #1 to his room and tucked him in to bed. Went to get him a drink while he "read" his bears a bedtime story. Returned with his drink, gave him final kisses and cuddles and turned out the light.
7:20 pm Headed to the kitchen to put the kettle on - time for a brew!!!

So there we go, everyone in bed with minimal tears and the only casualty was a ripped page of #1's Bible.  I have the utmost respect for mama's who have to go through this alone on a regular basis or who's partners work away from home!


No comments:

Post a Comment